At times, the economy resembles our own personal choices. The recession has demonstrated the bankruptcy of a system whose only goal was material gain, betraying fundamental values such as integrity, compassion and justice. The same thing often happens in our personal lives when we place our own material success before our values.
In discovering what really makes people happy, so far I have come up with precise recommendations – daily behaviours and activities that don’t consume material goods, and which are relatively recession-proof lol
1. Connect with others – Invest in human relationships. Look on them as the foundations of your life. They will enrich and support
you more and more every day.
2. Be active – Find a way to move your body that’s fun and feels good. When the body is active, it manufactures happiness.
3. Sharpen your awareness of the present moment – Be curious. Observe what is beautiful or unusual. Savour the moment you’re living in right now.
4. Never stop learning – Try something new. Take up singing lessons, dancing, cooking, and drawing etc. Set yourself a goal you’d like to meet. Then take the first step in getting there.
5. Give a bit by yourself – Do something to help someone. Imagine that your personal happiness is inextricably linked to the happiness of your community. Activate the pleasure zones in your brain.